Sunday, September 30, 2012


Part 181 The greatest night of the year


This year it truly will be the greatest night. When I was a child, I loved Christmas Eve. All the anticipation. The next morning, of course, was always the best day of the year. But all the hopes and excitement filled the air on the day before.

During the morning, I read a little and put on music that will play most of the day. I start a few dishes simmering in the afternoon. At five, we drive through the seasonably cold and damp weather to watch the children participate in a youth play at church, joined by my mother, GG, and CC. After this, we pick up a delicious concoction of foods from Pavarotti’s Italian restaurant, including fried artichokes, shrimp stuffed with crab, pasta, salad, and fettuccini alfredo for the kids. Complemented by the homemade veggie meatballs and broccoletti, and the chocolate bourbon pie my mother brought, we really have something. This year I can dive in, rather than watching from the sidelines like last year. We have a dinner theater going on as the kids dance in front of the table to entertain us.

As is required, some of us (including me of course) watch the 1951 classic version of “Scrooge” before bedtime.



Part 182 Dawn


We wake up early to a morning with the chill and Chuck Negron’s “Joy to the World” CD in the air as the kids are thrilled to discover a Wii Mario Brothers game with racing wheel waiting for them in the den. But Brooke’s favorite gift of all is the “My Little Pony” activity book purchased from Target for one dollar. I pull out some books and CDs from a box that I ordered from Amazon a few months ago, long enough that I have forgotten which ones I ordered and am actually surprised (my way of making sure I always get something I really want). Becah has bought me some tighter fitting jeans and a few shirts, as well as an electric shaver that I requested which I feel compelled to put on my list every decade or so.

We drive to CCs in the afternoon, joined by other family members and friends, for Mexican food and a fruit/vegetable tray. CC has bought the kids a karaoke machine which they instantly switch on and entertain us with. I suggest unsuccessfully that it would be a fun item to have at CCs house so they could entertain her whenever they stay over. They agree to the staying over part that night. Becah and I return home later, where she promptly falls asleep on the couch. I go upstairs and watch an old British movie, “Having a Wild Weekend”, starring my once favorite band the Dave Clark Five. While that is on, I am somehow inspired to do a little yoga before downing some leftovers (an international plate of Mexican and Italian). After the movie, I flip on the Green Bay vs. Chicago football game, leaving the sound off and glancing every now and then to see what is happening.



My tale doesn’t end here, but every story has to have its conclusion. I have been through the deep night and I have come out. The trail I took was my own – I had no real choice in that. Many others – family, friends, relatives, professionals, strangers who knew about me and added their support in some way – accompanied me at various times in my journey, shining flashlights that illuminated my steps and caught me when I stumbled. I did not make this trip alone. The dawn that arrived this morning meant so much to me, not just because it is Christmas and for all that entails, but also for what it means for me personally, and where my life is now. I am grateful to God who saved me and has brought the true light to this twenty-fifth of December.

This dawn is well worth walking into...







“Envying Job” will return on October 14 with some reflections and closing thoughts.




No comments:

Post a Comment