Friday, September 28, 2012

Part 179 Violators


I get up early the next morning to drive to the Department of Public Safety to renew my driver’s license. I have been driving for some time now with an expired permit, violating the law again as I drive over to get it renewed. I sit in the waiting room for about an hour (not bad, I feared worse). While there I look up on the wall and see a poster with the words “stop Houston gangs!” I think how much more ironic it would be if it were spray painted on the wall instead! I doubt that the sober-faced employees would see the irony (much less the humor) in my observation, so I keep my thoughts to myself.

I drive home (legitimately now), listening to the Beatles “Rubber Soul” again on this frosty morning, stopping at a few stores to purchase Christmas gifts. At home, I am filled with a burst of energy, jogging, lifting weights, and doing yoga. At night, I take a look at yet another of the myriad of football bowl games. I pull up the San Diego County Court Poinsettia Bowl (now there’s a mouthful) on TV where my once alma mater Louisiana Tech plays (and ultimately is edged in out by) TCU.

The following day I spend much time working on my presentation on personality development. I review everything (even the jokes I will lead off with) since it will be a big crowd I will be talking to and since the event will take place immediately after returning to work from the holidays. While Becah attends a ladies get together in the afternoon I watch the Texans squander a lead and lose in the last two minutes of the football game following three defensive miscues. As our defensive coordinator is still out, I guess there is an excuse, but after so many wins in a row it is tough losing to last place Indianapolis (with their fourth string quarterback in, no less, who is a former Texan, but still…)

I sleep at night on the couch since Bree is feeling punk and wants to sleep next to mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment