Monday, September 10, 2012

Part 161 Saints and ghosts

Becah is off with the kids much of the following afternoon, so I enjoy a sunny day by myself. A cool front drifts in this evening. Becah calls me to join her at one of the kid’s friend’s Halloween party. I drive over and have a beer before I quickly must leave to sit in the car with my swollen gland.

Sunday is the celebration of All Saints Day at church. Everyone tears up when they show pictures on screen of the two choir members who died this past year. I am grateful for their kindness they extended to me in their lives, and am filled with gratitude that I am standing here today and not a picture projected on a wall.

We dine on pasta with tomato and garlic sauce at an Italian restaurant after, then drive over to my dad’s rehab facility to celebrate his 89th birthday, which will actually be on Halloween day. My brother Craig, his wife, and two of his children are there. Bree is dressed as a vampire bride, while Brooke has opted for pirate chic (Elizabeth Swann from “Pirates of the Caribbean”). Bree had actually won the best original costume at the party the night before. The kids are dressed in costume today for a later party at the church. The cake with raspberry filling perks up this melancholy event – my dad is somewhat alert today, but is only a ghost of his former self. He is only technically here for this celebration. I fear it may be his last. I remember all he has been, and all he has done for me over the years. This is difficult to bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment