Thursday, September 20, 2012

Part 171 Uncle James lets go


A few days later I am back singing in the choir again. A friend there comes up and gives me an enthusiastic hug and welcomes me back. That afternoon I watch the Texans lose their second string quarterback to an injury when leading the game 20-10. They squeeze out a victory 20-13 simply because their opponent is so offensively weak that they cannot capitalize on our playing with a third string passer. This is the Texans’ fifth straight win and playoff talk is all over town, but now it’s anyone’s guess what will happen.

My mouth continues to be quite dry after eating, and I must often lie down immediately after meals to calm my racing heart.

The next day is cold - 33 degrees. The first cold snap of every season I must play “Rubber Soul” by the Beatles, one of my favorite albums of all time and, in my mind, a gateway to the cold season holidays. I arrive at work to receive a phone call from my mom that my dad’s twin brother – my uncle James – has died. I am not surprised, since I knew which ever twin went first, the other would soon let go of this life.

Within two weeks of my dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment