Friday, September 14, 2012

Part 165 Leaving this earth


The morning of November 9 is cooler, refreshing. I get up early as usual, have coffee, and continue my routine before leaving for work. When I get there, I look out the window and watch the sun rise. As I enter my office the phone is ringing. It is Becah. My mother has just called home and informed her that my dad died. I grab my briefcase, turn, lock the door, and return home. As I open the door, Brooke offers a frank comment. “Daddy, granddaddy passed away”.

I drive to the hospital and meet mom and Craig. Dad is lying in the bed, immobile, hard. His mouth is open, but there are no breaths. He has left us. We stay a while, then we leave to accompany mom to get her final radiation treatment. Before exiting the room, my mom pauses and gives my dad a little kiss on his head, commenting, “oh, you’re so cold already”.

We follow her home afterward and stay a while to comfort each other in this house where my parents and we children have spent so many years. It is a gorgeous morning. On my CD playing is a Christmas album “Three Ships” by YES singer Jon Anderson. I will probably forever associate this song with this day. My youngest brother David and his wife Diane arrive late morning. We sit and talk and laugh about things dad said and did. We all go out for lunch, then return to mom’s house, where she makes some phone calls to give the news to the few of her remaining friends; my mom has managed to outlive most of her old ones.

I drive across town back to my home in the afternoon. For prayers that night Brooke wishes that dad “has a fun time in heaven”. Late in the evening, Bree suddenly becomes sick at her stomach.

We go to sleep to get a reprieve from this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment