Thursday, June 21, 2012


Part 78 Enter the stent, or return to lights out


I contact Dr. Ra-’s office with many questions. He will place a stent in my esophagus to widen it sufficiently and long enough to allow food to pass through for longer than just a few weeks, which has been tops to this point. It will remain inside me for “an extended amount of time” (which he estimates to be about three months). The stent is hard with edges that can be expected to cause some discomfort. “Some people tolerate the stent better than others” is his response when I ask what the degree of my discomfort might be. This will be a one time procedure “unless another one is needed” (I’m supposed to be comforted by this?). My diet will not be restricted, although “lots of water” must be consumed with meals and carbonated beverages should be included frequently to clean the stent. I am to expect a rough first few days, although not extreme pain, and pills will be prescribed should I need them.

We have a trip planned for the Red River Revel in my hometown of Shreveport, Louisiana that must be cancelled. I am sad about this, as the event is fun, I always enjoy returning there anyway, and I was hoping to get together with some friends that I hadn’t seen in a while.

On the last day of September I arrive at the hospital at 9:00, but it will be noon before the actual procedure begins. A nurse with a British accent greets me and I recognize a blonde nurse, but the other faces are generally unfamiliar. The event is (fortunately) unremarkable. I am very sleepy afterward, which is common, but there is a soreness deep down my throat about the center of my chest that is new. There is much flushing in my face but no real fever, and vomiting. The pain keeps me awake, so I turn to pills to diminish it. I find some temporary relief, but I still struggle to sleep at night, and wake up often. I prepare for a few uncomfortable days, as I was warned. But I hope my body will adjust, or I must get stronger pills.

I sleep through most of the following day with some early afternoon queasiness. The following day I do little but lie on the couch and watch football. At the last day of the weekend I double my pill dosage. I make it through the morning, but the few spoonfuls of yoghurt I try at 10:30 return at 11:00. This is not going to be easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment