Sunday, June 10, 2012

Part 62 The problem with hospitals


I’m sure they mean well. Hospitals are filled with generally well qualified personnel, who have all been to college, have been trained, and have taken oaths to do no harm. Hospitals have different names, but they are basically all alike. Some are named after subdivisions and some after saints. Each has its lofty mission statement framed and hanging on a wall.

There is a problem with hospitals, though. They are not filled with superheroes, but rather just people like you and me who make mistakes (and trust me, when you are here you don’t need mistakes). You better not get attached to your nurse – at shift change she is leaving and will be replaced by someone with totally different mannerisms and work style. Like any beaurocracy, there are forms to fill out and procedures to follow. Hospitals are businesses, requiring profits to stay solvent, so don’t expect a good staff to patient ratio. This means you will take a number and wait in line, whether it is for meals or medications or emergencies. There are limited cable channels on TV. They don’t have the refrigerator or pantry I have at my house, through which I could rummage and find much better food.

But most of all hospitals are filled with sick disgruntled folks like me, not uplifting to be around in this condition, ranting and raving, who cannot ultimately be trusted for these words to be believed any way.



Part 63 Departure, I’d like to say it’s been fun, but I’ve been KO’d and I don’t want a rematch


After the pros have reassembled, I have been given the blessing to depart this place. With current medical plans, it is not necessarily that you are fine and healed, but rather just not in such a sad shape as you were when you entered. The criteria for discharge have dropped somewhat in the past years. But since I am not picking up the bulk of this exorbitant tab, I can’t complain (although I am still getting stung for a good portion of it even with decent benefits). Most importantly, I miss my home and family so much that I would sneak out and crawl home if they tried to keep me one more week. I probably wouldn’t even leave a goodbye note. I wave as I leave, though, and thank everyone for all they’ve done. I sincerely mean that.

I discover that July has arrived, and I greet it at home. We have a rainy morning, but not the deluge that was expected from hurricane Alex that hovers near Padre Island. Despite the fact that I am out of the hospital, all is not bliss. I am having problems with the feeding tube functioning right, and my swallowing difficulties mean that I must rely on the tube more than I would like. The depression is creeping back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment