Saturday, June 16, 2012

Part 72 Let’s get to 20 and wrap this up


I arrive at the medical center at 10:30 Tuesday morning, fasting as usual. I dislike these later procedures for that reason and am always glad when they inform me I need to be there at daybreak. We wait for hours, though, and it is 2:30 before we begin, so my hunger is wide and my patience is thin. The doctor has seen me, as has a new (to me) female anesthesiologist, Dr. Gr-, who I am told is extremely good. One of the nurses informs me that this lady administered sedation to her child when she required surgery. This is good enough for me. I still remind her several times to keep the Demerol away. She will use my preferred combo of Propofol and Versed as usual, so I am pleased. I find myself less anxious this time since the last procedure was uneventful. I have been here a few times now, so even with new staff passing by, some of the people are familiar.

A room is finally ready. I have looked around, trying to decide which of the three room numbers is the lucky one. I am surprised that they have not already sedated me, as I am usually asleep before I cross the operating room threshold. But I am cognizant of all this.

Inside, the procedure room fills quickly with doctors, aides, nurses, and so many people that I am looking around for the “maximum occupancy “sign. I appreciate the familiar faces of staff who were with me in the prep room. One tall, muscular African American male is new, but I am comforted by his presence because he looks confidant and tough enough to just reach in and yank this esophagus wide open if all else fails. Wires and monitors and flashing lights are everywhere. I expected to be asleep already and I am a little unsettled (although at the same time fascinated) that I am awake seeing all this. People pull masks over faces and extend their hands through gloves. I quip something to Dr. Ra- like “who’s in charge here?”, to which he replies, pointing to a nurse, “she is”.

The anesthesiologist stands beside me and discreetly injects something into my IV. She has told me already that I might experience a stinging sensation, but I don’t. I just have the odd metallic taste in my mouth like always when the anesthesia enters. A few people assist me in turning over on my left side. Someone slips a rubber piece into my mouth to keep my tongue in place and prevent me from choking. I experience a brief wave of dark particles falling all over and a heaviness in my head. I sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment