Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Part 58 Showering with another woman


The following morning I erupt into a coughing fit in my second unsuccessful attempt to eat pancakes. I keep trying to consume the solid foods they bring me, because despite the effects of the surgery I am told the doctor actually managed to successfully widen my esophagus. I am visited by an attractive young occupational therapist named Kathy, who appears to be just briefly out of college. She is to assist me in achieving some semblance of independent living. The first obstacle is getting me bathed. I undress in the bathroom, then step inside the shower, and get positioned on a seat inside the shower. I modestly cover myself and turn on the water. She enters the room. It is a scene right out of an adult movie that in any other situation I might be aroused by, but today I am simply embarrassed to be here in this way. I’m sure there are places she would rather be too. She gives me tips like pouring the shampoo on the ledge, then putting the bottle down, scooping the gel into my right hand, and washing. Fortunately for both of us, I am able to finish my bath with little other assistance needed. After I get out of the bathroom, she helps me get a shirt on (guide your left arm through first using your right to assist, then pull your right arm back through the right sleeve). Little things, but I’m sure if left to my own devices I would be wrapped like a pretzel and talking like a sailor.

A physician friend Ken drops by in the afternoon. He is an optometrist, with no expertise in my area of pathology, but just the fact that he is a medical doctor and a familiar face gives me some sense of comfort. Becah arrives later, and even though I am saddened by my situation I am always better when she is near. Loved ones heal just by showing up. She watches me eat a potato, and after we go outside to spend a little time in the sun.

Later in the day Dr. Ki- , an older, brown haired physician with moustache and glasses comes in my room and informs me that he will oversee my rehabilitation treatment, which will last until he deems me ready to leave. I will be moving tomorrow to begin this next phase of my hospital regimen. Despite his pleasant demeanor and reassurances that I will recover, my mind is flooded by thoughts of how none of this is supposed to be happening. I came to the medical center for a routine procedure, not for an extended hospital stay to fix my broken body. Besides, we have planned a Florida vacation that is to begin soon. I want to be lying in the sun and listening to the breaking waves, somewhere far, far away from this dreadful place.


No comments:

Post a Comment