Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Part 76 Stents and setbacks



In late August I make my first visit to choir practice in some time, and the following evening attend my first book club dinner in months. Driving over to Chris’ house I listen to Brian Wilson’s “Reimagining Gershwin” CD. When I arrive, everyone greets me warmly, glad that I have returned to the living.

I thought the idea of a guys’ book club was goofy at first. However, these folks, mostly professionals and nerdy types, are humorous, witty, and very supportive of me. Good combination. Every now and then we actually read and discuss the assigned book. Most of the time we simply ramble on about various topics, like trips and politics, or like tonight (compliments of my presence, health). The host has prepared shrimp and cheese raviolis, which look delicious, but all I am able to eat are a few slivers of fresh pear.

Saturday August 28 my parents and brothers and all our families meet at Babin’s seafood restaurant to celebrate my parents’ 64th wedding anniversary. I try the crab bisque, afraid to tackle anything else. Taking very small spoonfuls I still have trouble eating, and almost choke twice trying. Even the beer doesn’t go down easily. I am bothered greatly, particularly on this special event, that everyone can enjoy the evening but I must struggle just to get through it.

I get up early Sunday morning to sing in the choir at church, but quickly lie back down when I am struck with bad leaking of my tube and diarrhea. The tube has been generally good for the past week or so, so I am taken back by this malfunction. We visit Dr. Ab- , one of the gastroenterologists I have seen before, the next morning, who suggests replacing the tube. It seems there is a big difference between the feeding tube (that I was given when my other tube was torn out in the hospital) and an actual peg tube, which Dr. Ab- recommends. He suggests we come back in two days and replace the tube. We discuss my eating problems and he suggests that a stent may need to be inserted into my esophagus to widen it. He also warns me that the can sometimes migrate, requiring the procedure to be repeated.

I am getting extremely tired at this point of all my setbacks. I am aware that I may require a stent placement, and that the procedure is delicate. But one of these highly professional men (Dr. Ab- or Dr. Ra-) should be able to fix my problem. I call Dr. Ra-’s office, and his assistant confirms that I may need a stent and indeed the stent may shift, requiring another procedure. Dr. Ra- will be out of town and will not have an opening to do that, however, until September.

So the waiting and the setbacks will not end soon.






No comments:

Post a Comment