Thursday, August 16, 2012

Part 136 Departure


Time to leave the hospital does not always mean that your physical conflicts have been resolved. Sometimes there is simply nothing more at the time that can be done.

It is Monday morning, and I have now been in this facility for three weeks. Much of this time has been a blur of unconsciousness. When I have been alert, much of the time I have wished I weren’t.

Dr. Bl- has come to give me a few wise words and to officially discharge me. I am given orders for speech therapy sessions to try to improve my swallowing skills, and there may be a physical procedure soon to try to correct my distressed vocal cords if therapy is insufficient.

Becah has mixed feelings. It has been demanding on her to leave the children, drive one hour each way, park the car, and see me in the hospital on a near daily basis. However, when I come home in my present condition, she will have to be my nurse, waiting on me and assisting meeting my needs as the children simultaneously tug on her to take care of them.

Ready or not, though, here I come. I am rolled outside as the sun streams over me. I wince, stand with assistance, and step into the car as Becah drives me finally away from this place and sends into history this chapter of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment