Sunday, August 26, 2012


Dr. Be- announces that the procedure went “wonderfully”. Images reveal a healthy vocal cord and entire throat area. She has given me an injection that will temporarily facilitate the functioning of my vocal cord (after which time she feels the cord should completely heal on its own). If needed, Dr. Be- will perform another procedure; however, she doubts this will be necessary.

What is equally amazing with all this great news is the fact that I arrived at the hospital at 11:30, was prepped and with surgery started by 12:50, and am kicked back at home on the couch by 4:00! I watch TV with Brooke, who observes that I am looking better. CC drops by to visit. My tube is not leaking, much to my joy. Maybe the no-stick Ace bandage is doing the trick. Becah changes it at 8:30 – the first change since 10:30 this morning, and I am elated that it looks so good and that we made it this many hours on one bandage.

This is the best day for me in some time. My physical shape is improving, and my mood is downright optimistic.

Appreciate the good moments. Never take them for granted. You never know when you will be sideswiped by changes, like I am the following morning. I awake at 4:30 feeling nauseous, and throw up shortly after. The excessive mucous kicks in again a little later. I feel weaker today (but with a weight of only 142, it would be hard to feel strong). As the morning progresses, so does my coughing up phlegm and feeling ill. I pop Phenergen to attack the nausea, but it has little effect on it and really only makes me sleepier. I drift in and out of awareness (not always a bad thing). By mid afternoon I am reduced to bouts of dry heaving and battling more mucous. I feel warm but have no fever. It is heartbreaking to have such a turn of events immediately following such an upswing yesterday.

Brookie is starting to complain more of somatic ailments. She panics if either I or Becah leave her vicinity for even brief moments. All this is taking its toll on her.

I am worried that all the coughing and retching is hurting my fragile vocal cords. Becah contacts Dr. Be-, who feels that the cords should be sufficiently strong enough at this point to handle stress. Which is good, because by early evening I am heaving again and trying anti-nausea meds, desperately seeking something that will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment