Thursday, May 17, 2012

Part 35 Traveler


For a few days I go back to work, struggling to function on very little sleep at night and intensely watery mouth. A visit to my otolaryngologist informs me that a scope of my throat will be done but that my problems I am experiencing are common following radiation to the throat. I take off work midweek to make up much needed sleep during the day, but my difficulties resting at night persist. The following day I am more rested and productive early in the day at work. I drive to Tomball later in the morning and meet with Dr. Bu- , who introduces me to his friend Rob, someone who has travelled my path before and who discusses with me for 45 minutes his experiences of being treated for a diseased esophagus. I should feel better that his regimen entailed two radiation sessions per day rather than my one. But his tale about living off a feeding tube for six months bothers me (being much longer than I had planned). He and Dr. Bu- concur that it may take several weeks before the effects of radiation dissipate. I am relieved again that this aspect of my condition is normal. Rob also informs me that his treatment occurred five years ago and since then he has gradually regained 95% of his taste. The only lasting effect was that he no longer grows hair on his neck (meaning for him a quicker shave each morning!).

At the end of the work week I meekly try to get out of bed at five a.m., then weaken and crawl back into bed. I repeat this again at six. Then suddenly I dredge up some bravery and stand up. To my amazement, it works, and I drive to work and manage to get through despite the usual symptoms. Back at home, I ride my bike some with my girls at their nearby school and later find myself sitting alone watching High School Musical 3 as my children and some friends sing karaoke upstairs. Before bedtime I look in the mirror and discover my previously thinning eyebrows are getting darker and thicker.

The weekend is filled with children playing while I watch the Astros (dressed in 1965 jerseys) play the Phillies on Saturday, view Joel Osteen and listen to keyboard wizard Rick Wakeman on Sunday, and occasionally get some energy to ride bikes and soak up some sun. I am preparing myself for a farewell round of chemo that will start Monday as ammunition to preserve my body’s health and reduce the chances that the darkness can regroup any fragments to attack me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment