Friday, May 25, 2012

art 43 Simple surgeries and ice packs


I am back at the surgery center to have the port removed. It is early on a clear morning. I actually don’t mind this procedure, which should be uneventful. The staff is friendly and competent, and the facility itself is small, so there is a “folksiness” atmosphere that relaxes me that even the doctors’ technical jargon can’t dispel. I am there and back home in just a few hours. Riding home with my wife driving, I suggest we stop to shop for clothes at Old Navy, but she wisely refuses. I am still in a groggy, drug induced state and will barely remember later making such a request.

I work the rest of the week, tired often and self conscious again about my thinning hair, but plugging along nonetheless. I am forced to face my pressures and discomfort rather than running from them, which I guess must build character at least. Besides, someone has to pick up the tab – I can’t abandon work. At home I fix a special Cinco de Mayo meal for my family one night, dance with my children to keep myself alive and nurture their artistic leanings. I watch a bizarre but interesting rarely seen British film called “Privilege”, about media exploitation of a rock star to manipulate the public. Becah and I begin a marathon of Columbo episodes (featuring one of my favorite TV personalities) which maintains my attention and helps distract me from my ailments. I visit Dr. Mc- , who presents me with a clean scope report. I cry tears of happiness. But that night at home I experience a sharp and lingering pain and swelling in my groin, and I’m almost in tears of pain this time. We call “nurse” CC over to watch the kids in case I must be taken to the emergency room. She suggests placing an ice pack on the site, raising my feet on pillows, which we immediately try. Thankfully, the pain quickly leaves.

I am searching for some closure here that I cannot find. I feel that I have done my time and am ready for parole. Like Michael in the Godfather III, who exclaimed, “I try to get out and they keep pulling me back in!”

No comments:

Post a Comment