Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Prayers for the Stent

Hi all,

As most of you know, John has a 5 inch metal stent in his esophagus.  It is there because he has a stricture (tightening of the elastic-like part of his throat).  This stricture was likely caused either by the high doses of radiation or chemotherapy which were necessary to blast his cancer.  The doctors have tried repeated balloon dilatation of his throat which is a relatively simple procedure except that once during this relatively simple procedure, John had a stroke (likely a reaction to the drug demerol).  The dilatations only worked for a short while.  So anyway, he had a stent placed in September.  This one migrated to his stomach (and still resides there, btw) so a new one was placed in early November.  While this one has not been w/o side effects (mostly pain and mucus), it has allowed him to eat a more regular diet.  The plan is for this stent to stay in place until the end of December in order to more permanently stretch his throat.

The reason I am writing now is to ask for some extra prayer tonight.  Yesterday and today, John's food is not going down as well.  He can still eat but with more strain and the pain appears to have increased. I texted his wonderful doctor tonight to ask if he thought he needed an x-ray to check the stent placement and he believes we do and will order one tomorrow.  This is not the end of the world.  It is not life threatening in anyway but it is disheartening for John b/c he is so ready to have the stent out and does not want to go to the hospital for a another placement procedure plus anytime under anesthesia scares the goo out of us.  Please pray tonight for his body and his spirit. I also ask that you pray for me to stay patient with him b/c sometimes it is hard for me to even comprehend his physical pain and I don't always realize how hard he tries everyday to keep smiling and being an active husband and daddy.

Also I have another prayer request, one of my best friend's texted me tonight to say that a mom and daughter friend of she and her daughter's just lost there husband/daddy tonight.  He was in car accident about 6 weeks ago and passed today.  Please pray for this newly single mommy and her precious, little girl.  This makes what we are dealing with seem so easy, huh.

On a very happy note, the girls went to Christmas Choir Camp at church tonight and had a blast.  What a blessing the volunteers and staff at Northwoods are to my little girls!  I am so happy they have opportunities like this in their lives.

Good Night All,
Bec

2 comments:

  1. Hey Becah,

    I hope you all are doing well. I just read through your blog. While I knew you all were going through lots of scary and trying days with cancer I never really knew how scary until I read your mom's entires. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong and know that God is with you. Wishing you all health, happiness, love, and peace during the Christmas season and always.

    Lori

    Oh - while I quite enjoy the lifesized picture, I think I know how to fix it....here are the steps....go to your dashboard, then click on design. The navbar should come up, now, click edit where the title of the blog is. The configure header should pop up and down at the bottom it says "shrink to fit" Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried but I can't make it shrink Lori!!! No "shrink to fit" to be found.

    ReplyDelete