Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Part 96 Responsibilities, write-offs, and Captain Jack Sparrow


I am reflecting on my meeting with Dr. Bl-. I also think about the barium swallow test that I took at the center after I met with her. The physician present at that study observed that the barium solution was going down poorly (despite that fact, the yoghurt and chocolate milk for lunch slid down fine). I also reflect on the separate test required to assess the strength of my neck arteries and to determine if they would withstand the stress of surgery. I think of these as I review some of the medical costs I have accrued. The occupational therapy charges alone run over an appalling $600 per session. I know that I will be responsible for only a portion of these, and that a good bit will be written off by the hospital, but still…

This time of year is unsettling to me because I am now financially responsible for more of these medical bills that will be arriving in my mailbox. At the end of the previous year, I could at least be assured that no matter how many doctor meetings and tests and procedures I incurred, I had maxed out of my out-of-pocket costs. But, as they say, that was then, and this is now.

Brookie, my movie watching pal, sits on the couch with me as we again watch “Pirates of the Caribbean” (we alternate between the first and third installments). She is fascinated with the Elizabeth Swann and Will Turner characters, but is totally enthralled by Captain Jack Sparrow. Johnny Depp is her new hero. The next day, while playing upstairs in the game room (probably “pirates”) she falls and hurts her wrist. She is tearful, but there does not appear to be any swelling, and she rebounds. Only after three days do we realize that she has continued to feel periodic discomfort, and a doctor visit confirms that it is broken.

So we spend less time playing recklessly, and more time being responsible, watching Captain Jack Sparrow.



Part 97 Leftovers


I occasionally these days walk over and pick up my guitar from its stand, hoping this time the fingers on my left hand will magically bend in place to form the chords and I can again play the instrument. I recently had a dream in which I could, just like before. But this time, as always now, I can’t make them bend right.

I play around on and compose on the keyboard too. I am able to very deliberately form some simple chords, but transitioning from chord to chord is laborious, and I am frustrated in this endeavor also.

My rhythmic abilities using the left hand have also been compromised. I played drums before any other instrument. I have a habit of continuing to play them, on podiums when I am speaking, on kitchen tables, and (my favorite) on steering wheels (I have joked that I buy a car based on the tone of its steering wheel). The latter is a particularly disturbing habit if you are a passenger in my car or a driver on the road when I am “performing”!

Other limitations face me as a result of the anesthesia mishap. Despite the occupational therapy sessions and the renewed arm and hand strength on my left side, I find my dexterity in that hand to be quite lacking. I am unable to tie a necktie (some would call this a blessing). I have made adjustments with my work attire, and there appear to be no problems with that. Of more concern, though, is my ability to use only my right hand to type on the computer. The high school typing class that I took has paid off enormously over the years – I have always been fast and accurate on the computer. But now I plod along, reaching my right hand fingers far across the board as I hit the shift key to capitalize letters. I can assist on some operations with my left hand, but try as I may I cannot make the left hand fingers line up with the correct keys.

Opening jars can be problematic. As well as other cooking requirements, like scraping carrots or pealing other vegetables. I like to cook, so these tasks are necessary to complete if I am to feed the family. I find that I call to Becah for assistance in doing these simple things, much to my dismay. Or I attempt them myself, with resulting drops and spills and inappropriate language.

Sometimes I try hard to rise above these limitations. Other times I simply give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment