Friday, October 19, 2012

Reflection 6 The present moment


Meditation teaches one to focus on breathing. Breathe in slowly, hold it there, and slowly breathe out. Vietnamese Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh explains that if a person focuses just on breathing, he or she can fully enjoy the present moment. This is the time we have. The past is over, the future not arrived. We waste so much of our lives regretting the past or worrying about what might come, that we miss out on the one time we have to live completely.

A serious illness will get your attention. When I was in treatment, I longed for the old days when I was disease-free. Or I hoped for the future when my burden would be lifted. It was hard to live in the present moment at that time, because that moment was not very pleasant.

That time is now in my past. It can be left there.

My advice to others is to enjoy the present moments. Play a guitar, compose a song, play baseball with your kids – whatever your choices of fun may be. Don’t put it off for tomorrow.

I have had to make adjustments to some activities due to the TIA that affected the nerves in my left hand. I must look at my guitar resting on its stand in the corner, unable to play it anymore. I must type the words on this page with my right hand only, as my left hand is splayed and I cannot coordinate it to type letters. My work and my hobbies have been compromised by an unforeseen event.

Many challenges surprise us in our lives. All the more reason to grab every moment and treasure it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment