Sunday, April 15, 2012

There are a few "good" things about Cancer...very few but some nonetheless.

Before John was diagnosed with cancer, I thought cancer was scary but distant. Something that happened to your ex-boyfriend's mom whom you never met or your aunt that died when you were seven. These things made me sad but they mostly made me sad for the people that loved those who had passed and the way it had effected their lives but not mine.

Then cancer hit MY world and my thought about it certainly did change. I hated it. I hated the waiting and the fear. The first few weeks were the worst. Oddly enough once the treatment started, I felt better. I relaxed some. I knew the poison was killing the poison. At home, we begun to enjoy that John was home more and since we did not really feel like going out much, we had some great family times together. John and I spent hours at appointments just holding hands and talking. These were some of the first "good" things that cancer gave us.

Throughout this journey, there have been many, many, too many scary, horrible, frightening things that have happened BUT there have been good times and more often than not just normal times.

Now I come to the reason for this post...the "good" things. Last Saturday, we went with my dad and step-mom to a fish fry. One of the activities for the kids was a craft area with paper grocery bags and markers. Our daughters loved this activity. They made paper bag heads to bring home. Once back at my dad's house, Bree continued to add to her "head" giving it hair, a bow, red lips and eye lashes. She also made a paper bag dress to wear with her "head". Once we returned home, she kept going making two more "heads" and two more outfits. These were all made so that the three of us girls could put on a "Baggles" play. These were to be our costumes. Wednesday night, while John was a choir, Bree insisted on a dress rehearsal. We had to take advantage of the fact that our audience was gone.

We were just about to start the rehearsal, when Bree exclaimed, "Oh no, I forgot to put hair on Momma's!"

To which Brooke replied, "No problem, Momma can just be a person with cancer in the play!"

Bree said," Brooke that is a great idea" then she just moved on. She just moved on!!!

This happened because my children have experienced cancer for both the good and the bad. John is alive and well. I am so grateful that for my children cancer has had a happy ending so far. It also made me keenly aware that cancer or not, we are still a family and life goes on. My heart is heavy now for adults and children alike who have not had the happy ending. I will pray tonight that they can find the "good" in cancer, however, small it may be.

Please say and extra prayer tonight for those currently suffering the effects of cancer and their families. Also please send a special prayer to those who have lost loved ones to this very BAD disease.

Love,
Bec

No comments:

Post a Comment